Thursday, February 24, 2011

{Parties} Dean -- Part 3 -- DINNER/EATS


This post is all about FOOD! Like I mentioned in my DETAILS post, I used the top of this shelving unit to hold my appetizers for the party, which were a raspberry black bean dip, veggies & dip, baked brie, and popcorn served in newspaper cones.


The first item I bought for the "Little Mister Mustache Bash" and the inspiration behind Dean's party colors was a shower curtain I found at TJ Maxx. I used it as a runner on the shelving unit {Karen also used it as a backdrop for Dean's 1st Birthday pics}. I also bought a really inexpensive frame from TJ that was originally hot pink, but I spray painted it navy blue and added an appetizer menu inside. Dean's first year album also sat on top of the shelving unit for our guests to peruse.


I saw popcorn in newspaper cones in the Pottery Barn catalog, and I thought they would fit in nicely with Dean's party since I had used newspapers in other places.

**These newspaper cones would also be adorable filled with popcorn and/or peanuts for a "Night at the Movies" themed party.**


This baked brie was a huge hit! My friend Patty gave me the recipe and it's a great little appetizer. Here it is:

Ingredients:
~ 1 can seamless cresent rolls
~ 1 round of Brie
~ 1 jar currant jelly {I used raspberry}
~ 2-3 Tbsp brown sugar
~ 1 egg, beaten

Directions:
1. Cut crescent in half and put on cookie sheet
2. Place Brie round in middle and top with jelly and brown sugar
3. Bring all four corners of crescents up to middle and form a beggars purse, pinching seams
4. Brush with beaten egg
5. Bake 350 for about 20-30 minutes, until golden
6. Serve with crackers and/or apples


The raspberry black bean dip I served is another crowd favorite. Super easy to make and delicious makes it a winner in my opinion!

Ingredients:
~ 1 medium red onion, diced & sauted
~ 1 can black beans, drained
~ 1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
~ 1 8 oz. jar Raspberry salsa
~ Lime juice
~ 1 bag shredded cheese, cheddar or taco
~ Tostitos

1. Saute and dice onions {bottom layer}.
2. Drain black beans {next layer}.
3. Soften cream cheese and smooth over beans.
4. Next layer raspberry salsa and squeeze lime juice over salsa.
5. Layer cheese on top.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees or until cheese is hot and bubbly.
7. Serve with tortilla chips.


I wanted an easy dinner but something that was party friendly and fun too. So I made crockpot cheesesteaks, potato wedge fries, a strawberry/blueberry salad with poppy seed dressing {my mom made this -- recipe coming soon}, and a pickle bar. I found the soap dispenser at TJ and used it as a ketchup dispenser for the cheesesteaks and fries {never used for soap of course}.


With all the commotion involved in getting the dinner served, I never snapped any pics except for the salad. This is my mom's signature salad and you don't want to miss the recipe for the dressing on this one -- PERFECT for spring!


One of the most useful gifts I registered for for my bridal shower was a big rolling cooler. Every time I entertain, my husband sets it up on our back porch and it's basically self serve -- EASY! All the drinks we serve fit inside and are already cold from sitting on ice inside the cooler. I made another "Wet Your Whiskers" sign {$.99 frame from IKEA} to sit on top of the drink station.


And we had manly "growlers" filled with beer for the guys.

THAT'S IT -- IT'S A WRAP! ALL IN ALL, IT WAS A GREAT DAY FOR MY BABY ANGEL BOY!

3 comments:

  1. so glad you posted that dip on your blog. Mrs K made it for an night @ hunter's house and I loved it. can you share your crockpot cheese steak recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks adorable!! So many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! And I'll try to get the crockpot cheesesteak recipe up soon {gotta check with my cousin first too to make sure she doesn't mind me sharing since it's her recipe!}.

    ReplyDelete