Friday, July 16, 2010

{Entertaining} Easy & Fun!


My FIL's birthday was yesterday and my husband literally decided this morning that he wanted to invite his family over tonight, yes tonight, for dinner, cake, and ice cream to celebrate. Well, as most of you moms know, life with a little baby doesn't exactly allow you tons of free time to cook fancy meals and entertain like Martha. So....we thought of something that would be quick and easy. My husband suggested hotdogs, sauerkraut, baked beans, chips, and a summer veggie like corn on the cob or asparagus. Perfect. Easy, inexpensive, minimal prep. Exactly what I wanted except it was kinda....well....blah. I needed to threw a little spin on it to jazz it up, so I decided to make a hotdog bar.


I love easy, quick entertaining and sticking to a budget ***BUT*** I'm ALL ABOUT presentation. That's where the hotdog bar came in. By the way, how cute are "bars" of any type?!?! Candy, cookies, ice cream, popcorn, hotdogs, tacos, and the list goes on and on.


That summer veggie I spoke of earlier? It turned into the spectacular little number above. {Bo made them...isn't he something?!}. These little TOMATO STACKS are super easy to make...all you do is:

~Slice Jersey tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, onion, and eggplant.
~ Drizzle the eggplant with a little EVOO and bake in oven for about a half hour {make sure they are soft when you take them out}
~Create your stacks by layering a slice of tomato with onion, then eggplant, then mozzarella, then another tomato slice. Top with a fresh basil leaf and drizzle with balsamic vinegarette.

These look so pretty on a serving platter and are a great summer side dish! Yummy too!


And that, my friends, is entertaining at it's easiest!

No comments:

Post a Comment